This is one spicy pie. So spicy that it screams ice cream! Not just that old “I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!”. It’s more of a your-mouth-is-on-fire-screaming-for-ice-cream. You can omit the chipotle, or you have 2 other choices:
- use this as an excuse to always eat this pie a la mode (or better yet, mix a slice right into some ice cream, marble slab style
- tone down the spiciness, or omit it completely
Onto the recipe!
- CRUST INGREDIENTS:
- 1.5 cups chickpeas
- ½ cup flour (I used spelt)
- ½ cup ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 T cinnamon
- ½ t salt
- ½ t nutmeg
- 2 T honey
- 1 T oil for greasing pan (I used coconut oil)
- FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 3 large sweet potatoes (6 cups cubed)
- 1 tablespoon (or less) dried ground chipotle
- 1 and ⅓ cups dates
- ⅛ cup chia seeds
- Peel sweet potatoes, and cube. Steam them for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all crust ingredients in the food processor, and pulse/blend until a dough ball forms.
- Boil water. In a glass container, pour ½ cup of water over dates. Press down to get them all softened under water.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Press dough into pie pan (mine was 12″ diameter)
- Bake dough 7 minutes.
- Combine all filling ingredients in the food processor, and pulse/blend until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into crust, bake 35-45 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla frozen yogurt.
Why this pie rocks:
- This is definitely healthy enough for breakfast.
- It also packs a lot of fibre. This probably has more functional fibre than a lot of fibre supplements, certainly more than any bars. And it tastes smooth, creamy and delicious.
- Since it’s got my chickpea crust. it’s got some protein too!
- In case you didn’t notice, sugar is not an ingredient here! Don’t worry, this pie is sweet enough, but it won’t spike your blood sugar. Sustained energy (did I mention you should eat it for breakfast). Or it won’t keep you up at night if it’s dessert. 24-hours a day, this pie is for you.
Happy pie-eating! Here’s an awesome make-at-home ice cream for you, from Chocolate Covered Katie: Voluminous Vanilla Ice Cream.